Yeak Laom site was established in 1998 and is now managed by the local communities themselves. Yeak Laom is a deep and clear water containing volcanic lake surrounded by jungle. It does not only offer very attractive trekking tours around the lake but also gives tourists the chance to go swimming in the hundreds of years old lake what is very refreshing, especially on hot days. In addition to that visitors can meet indigenous people and learn about their culture, above all about their traditional dancing and music performance.
Yeak Laom is located in Rattanak kiri province. Banlung, the capital of Rattanak kiri province, can be reached by bus from Phnom Penh. This takes about 12 hours. Yeak Laom is 5km away from Banlung Town. It can be reached within 10 to 15 minutes by taxi or motor taxi. Due to the road conditions access is more difficult during rainy season (June to October).
Attractions and Activities
- A volcanic lake in the middle of a beautiful landscape of mountainous forests
- Swimming in the cool, deep and clear water
- Meeting indigenous people and learning about their culture
- Hiking trails through the forest around the lake with an experienced local guide
- Going on a cultural trip around the lake and an indigenous village with Tampuen guides
- Visiting Traditional handicraft production sites
- Buying handicrafts made by indigenous people of the Yeak Laom area
CBT Products and services
CBT Products and services include the production and selling of handicrafts of indigenous people such as baskets, musical instruments, hand-woven cloths like scarves, etc. There are English speaking Tampuen guides to show visitors around. Food is available but must be asked for while booking the trip.
There are no fixed prices. Prices for guides, etc. can be negotiated at the different hotels and guesthouses in Banlung.
Mr. Trach Nung (Khmer Speaking)
Tel: (+855) 12 423 706